A South Jersey Guide to Surviving a Winter Storm [VIDEO]
A winter storm is making his way towards South Jersey bringing along heavy snow, rain, gusty winds, and coastal flooding. Should be a fun weekend! Are you ready?
Here's some survival tips from readyatlantic.org to make sure you're prepared for the first major snowstorm of the season.
1. Stock up on supplies: Now is the time get food, flashlights, batteries, battery operated radios, non-perishable food and water, and prescription medications. Don't forget the milk and bread.
It's also a good idea to make sure all your electronic devices are charged, pets are inside, and top your vehicle off with a full tank of gas.
2. Power Outages and Portable Generator Safety Tips: Always use generators outdoors, away from doors, windows and vents. Never use your generator in your home.
Click here to report a power outage to Atlantic City Electric. You can also call 1-800-833-7476. To report downed wires and life-threatening emergencies call 1-800-833-7476 and follow the prompts.
3. Safe Driving Tips: Your best bet is to stay indoors but, if you MUST go out during the storm, drive slowly and give yourself plenty of extra time to get where you’re going. Also, don’t tailgate, accelerate or decelerate too quickly, and take time to slow down for a stoplight.
Click here for more safe driving tips.
4. Coastal Flooding: High Tides in Atlantic City will be at 6:43am on Saturday morning and 7:09pm on Saturday night. High tide will also occur Sunday morning will be at 7:26am.
Water levels will be near 7 to 7.5 feet. Wave heights are expected to be close to 15-20 feet.
Be sure to move you vehicles to higher ground if you're in a flood prone area. Take precautions if you are driving. Do not drive past a barricade, don't drive through standing water on the road or parking lots. Click here for more driving tips when flooding occurs.
5. Stay Warm: Layer up! Wear layers of lightweight clothing to stay warm. Gloves and a hat will help prevent losing your body heat. Click here for more cold weather tips.
6. Stay Tuned to Lite Rock for Weather Updates: WPG Meteorologist Dan Zarrow and AccuWeather will have the latest on Winter Storm Jonas all weekend long. You can also download our radio Pup app to listen live from your smartphone or android.