A fire that broke out early Wednesday morning in a classroom at an Ocean County high school has been ruled as being accidental.

Fire crews outside Pinelands Regional High School (6 ABC)

The fire was reported around 5:15 a.m. at Pinelands Regional High School in Little Egg Harbor and quickly spread to two alarms according to two alarms according to NBC 10.

The fire was contained to one room, but smoke spread throughout the building on Nugentown Road. The Ocean County Fire Marshal has declared the fire accidental.

Pinelands Junior High School was not affected by the fire.

Pinelands School Superintendent Robert Blake says the fire started because of an overheated plug in a socket.

Parents were notified that classes will be moved outdoors today as firefighters work to ventilate the first floor according to 6 ABC. Students reported to school at their normal time and were sent to the school's football field  Student Gabbi Harper says class did eventually resume inside after students sat in the stands for several hours but were forced back outside because of a false alarm.

According to the school's website a half-day was later declared with students being dismissed at 11:25 a.m.The Leadership Dinner scheduled for Wednesday night has been postponed. 

School will resume a normal schedule on Thursday according to Blake.