How To Vote in New Jersey’s Primaries on Tuesday
TRENTON — The polls open at 6 a.m. Tuesday for New Jersey's gubernatorial primaries.
The state's 5.6 million registered voters will choose their respective party's candidates for governor from among six Democrats (Bill Brennan, Jim Johnson, Ray Lesniak, Phil Murphy, John Wisniewski and Mark Zinna) and five Republicans (Jack Ciattarelli, Kim Guadagno, Steve Rogers, Joseph Rudy Rullo and Hirsh Singh). The office of governor is limited to two terms.
Candidates from the Green Party, Libertarian Party and We the People Party are running candidates in the general election. Three more candidates are running as independents.
Every state Senate and Assembly seat is also up for re-election in November. There are freeholder and other local and county races in some towns.
The state's 2.3 million unaffiliated voters can participate by changing their affiliation at the polls. They will be able to switch back to unaffiliated after the primary.
Some questions and answers about the election:
- When can I vote? The polls are open 6 a.m. - 8 p.m. Those who are in line when the polls close will be allowed to cast a ballot.
- Where do I vote? Enter your address at this state website for the location of your polling place.
- Am I registered? Check the state website to make sure you are registered. You must have already registered to vote 21 days before the election.
- How close can political signs and their supporters be to the polls? "Electioneering" is allowed within 100 feet of the entrance of the polling place. A challenger cannot wear a campaign button inside the "protected zone" and may not ask for votes. Possible violations should be brought to the attention of the district board.
- Who do I call if there's a problem with my voter registration or with the polls? Call the voter hotline at 877-NJ-VOTER (877-658-6837)
- Will I get a sticker for voting? "I voted" stickers are an optional program and handed out at the discretion of the county clerk who administers voting. Not every county will have them available.