Recovery Efforts Underway After Florida Sinkhole Swallows Home
Fox News / March 1, 2013 -- A large sinkhole opened under the bedroom of a house near Tampa, trapping a 36-year-old man in the rubble.
The home collapsed late Thursday in a Seffner neighborhood. By early Friday, Hillsborough County Fire Rescue officials determined the home had become too unstable to continue rescue efforts.
"Right now, the potential for a collapse is very, very high," Jessica Damico, a Hillsborough Fire and Rescue spokeswoman told MyFoxTampaBay.com.
"There was no furniture. All he saw was a piece of the mattress sticking up," Damico said.
There's been no contact with the man since then and neighbors on both sides of the Seffner home have been evacuated.