OCEAN TOWNSHIP (Monmouth) — Two men trying to have some fun and stay warm were badly hurt when one of them tried using gasoline to light a fire pit.

Both were hospitalized with various degrees of burns, police said.

Police were called to the area between Fairway Lane and Weston Avenue in Ocean Township, Monmouth County, where they found the men burned from the fire pit. Police said the gasoline had "ignited in an explosive manner."

One had more significant burns to his face, chest, and hands and was taken by helicopter to the Burn Center at Saint Barnabas Medical Center in Livingston. The other was taken to Jersey Shore University Medical Center.

The Wanamassa First Aid Squad, Ocean Township Fire District 2 Fire Marshall's Office, and the Monmouth County Fire Marshall's Office responded.

 

More from WPG Talk Radio 104.1:

Sign up for the WPG Talk Radio 104.1 Newsletter

Get South Jersey news and information e-mailed to you every week.