TOMS RIVER — A woman was hospitalized Friday afternoon after an exploding can of cooking spray covered her in flames and almost burned her house down.

Emergency responders found the 46-year-old resident on the front porch of her Almond Drive home about 5:20 p.m. with burns to her face, torso and thighs.

Firefighters went into the smoke-filled home and put out the small fire in the kitchen. The woman was taken by helicopter to a hospital, police said Saturday.

Investigators with the Toms River Bureau of Fire Prevention said the woman was cooking when the can of nonstick spray exploded, dousing the victim with “super-heated liquid and flames.”

Cooking sprays can pose a risk when heated because the cans are pressurized and contain propellants. Product safety guidelines warn that storing the cans too close to hot stoves or ovens can cause an explosion.

Sign up for the WPG Talk Radio 104.1 Newsletter

Get South Jersey news and information e-mailed to you every week.