Ten Thanksgiving Food Dangerous For Pets
Pet owners beware! There are several foods you should not give to your animals this Thanksgiving. So, with a nod to our friends at the Humane Society of Ocean City and with help from the ASPCA, here are ten Thanksgiving foods dangerous for pets...
1. Turkey bones
Turkey bones can cause pets to choke and if they swallow them, the bones can puncture the stomach or intestines, which could possibly kill them. Instead, give pets pieces of COOKED turkey. Breast meat is best— and make sure you cut off all the bones.
2. Turkey skin
Fatty foods like turkey skin are tough for dogs to digest. In some cases, their pancreas can become inflamed, resulting in pancreatitis.
A lot of stuffing includes scallions, garlic and onions, all three of which are toxic to animals and can cause anemia.
If your dog eats mushrooms, the dog may experience vomiting, seizures, a coma and possibly death.
Pumpkin and sweet potatoes are good for your dog—but make sure they don’t contain nutmeg. It has mild hallucinogenic properties that, when ingested by your dog, can cause seizures, tremors and central nervous system problems.
Alcoholic beverages and food products containing alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhea, decreased coordination, central nervous system depression, difficulty breathing, tremors, abnormal blood acidity, coma and even death. Under no circumstances should your pet be given any alcohol.
Nuts, including almonds, pecans, and walnuts, contain high amounts of oils and fats. The fats can cause vomiting and diarrhea, and potentially pancreatitis in pets.
When a dog or cat ingests raw bread dough, the yeast continues to convert the sugars in the dough to carbon dioxide gas and alcohol. This can result in bloated drunken pets, which could become a life-threatening emergency, requiring hospitalization.
It’s in countless Thanksgiving Day recipes, but it shouldn’t be in your dog’s bowl. Sage contains oils and resins that can upset your four-legged friend’s stomach and do a number on its central nervous system.
This may seem like a no-brainer for experienced pet owners. But you may want to remind guests not to give animals a taste of chocolate desserts. It’s toxic for them.