Hurley Review: Halle Berry’s ‘Bruised’ – Key Part Filmed In Atlantic City
Atlantic City rarely gets the credit it deserves for all of the big things that happen right here in “The World’s Playground.”
I just finished watching the movie “Bruised,” directed by and starring Halle Berry. This is her directorial debut.
I won’t spoil the deep plot of the movie for those who haven’t seen it, yet. But, the crescendo of the whole movie happens right here in Atlantic City.
Atlantic City “shows” really well in “Bruised.” You’ll see extended, flattering closeups of:
- The entire skyline of Atlantic City, which I have always considered to be such an impressive and beautiful sight.
- Closeup of Ocean Resorts Casino Hotel.
- Great exterior and interior views of Atlantic City’s Historic Boardwalk Hall.
Also, for local fans of Atlantic City, Mayor Marty Small has a brief, non-speaking, but, expressive role featuring a real as life closeup for a few seconds. You can’t miss him during the final critical fight scene.
Google analytics reports that 87 percent of those who have watched “Bruised,” like it.
I really enjoyed this movie at several important levels.
- Perhaps the most relevant part of the movie was filmed in Atlantic City; adding to the ever-growing list of movies that feature “The World’s Playground.”
- Halle Berry may very well win the Academy Award (female actor in a lead role) for this Oscar-worthy performance. Berry stretches her acting “chops” like never before in her role as former UFC fighter Jackie "Pretty Bull" Justice.
- For those who like intense fight scenes, it’s here.
- If you like a deep storyline, featuring complex relationships and movie character development throughout, it’s here big time.
Inner-city Newark, New Jersey is also featured prominently as the home town of Justice (Halle Berry).
When Jackie Justice (Halle Berry) faces Lucia "Lady Killer" Chavez, Invicta FC's flyweight champion, in the Atlantic City title bout it was a touch of the Rocky Balboa franchise, without ripping it off.
PARTIAL LIST OF MOVIES FILMED IN ATLANTIC CITY
- The Godfather - Part III
- Oceans Eleven
- Atlantic City
- The Bounty Hunter
- The Pick-up Artist
- The King of Marven Gardens
- Wise Guys
- The Burglar
- Delivering Milo
- $5 A Day
And, countless others.
The movie had a limited theatrical release. If you have purchased a Netflix subscription, “Bruised” is now available at no additional charge.
“Bruised” has something in for everyone (adults only). The running time is 138 minutes. It’s well worth the investment.
We give “Bruised” a 4 out of 5 Hurley Microphones rating.
NOTE: Tom Cantone suggested that I create the Hurley 5 Mic Rating System. Thank you, Tom.
Atlantic City's Firsts Throughout History
25 Famous People That Were Surprisingly Born In The State Of New Jersey
Holiday Shopping No More: 15 NJ Stores You Can Never Shop at Again