Mold Problems Mount After Sandy [AUDIO]
While the cleanup and recovery continues almost three months after Superstorm Sandy, some who suffered damage to their homes are getting sick.
They're not coming down with the seasonal flu that's going around - instead, they are dealing with severe respiratory ailments. Could Mother Nature's wrath be to blame? Some experts think the answer is yes.
Whether your home was flooded or suffered structural damage, mold contamination is running rampant, especially in debris piles. The most common reactions include asthma like symptoms, itchy & watery eyes, nose irritation, throat pain and even lung irritation. Allergist Dr. Leonard Bielroy tells us that some types of mold can be toxic and medical treatment is needed as soon as possible.
He says, "While rare, it's very possible for lungs to become scarred permanently as a result of exposure. My advice for anyone working on the cleanup would be to wear protective face masks, avoid touching your eyes after handling debris and wash your hands and clothes thoroughly."
Mold can trigger asthma and even cause headaches during a growth phase. Because of the widespread water damage, mold spores were all over whether inside and outside the house.
Bielroy says, "Visible mold can be wiped away with a bleach and water mixture. Never mix bleach and ammonia because the gas it creates can be deadly."
If you have been sick for more than five days and have developed a chronic cough, be sure to see your doctor.