Armed Man Arrested at Convenience Store in Atlantic City, NJ
An Atlantic City man is facing a huge list of charges after being arrested at a convenience store with a loaded gun and drugs.
The Atlantic City Police Department says their officers responded to the 600 block of New York Avenue just after 11:30 Friday morning.
Inside of a store, detectives say they located 21-year-old Mykal Salaam-Derry. He was arrested "after being found in possession of a loaded handgun in his waistband."
Police say he also had 28 individual bags of heroin, one gram of cocaine, and 23 grams of marijuana.
Initially, Salaam-Derry allegedly attempted to provide detectives with a false name, but his true identity was ultimately determined.
Salaam-Derry has been charged with the following:
- Unlawful possession of a weapon
- Possession of hollow-point ammunition
- Possession of a large capacity magazine
- Possession of weapon while committing a CDS offense
- 2 counts of possession of CDS
- 3 counts of possession of CDS with intent to distribute
- 3 counts of possession of CDS with intent to distribute within 1,000 feet of a school zone
- 3 counts of possession of CDS with intent to distribute within 500 feet of a public zone
- Obstruction of justice
Salaam-Derry was remanded to the Atlantic County Justice Facility.
The public is reminded that charges are accusations and all persons are considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.