NJDOT, State Police to Conduct Hurricane Evacuation Exercise Thursday
Several state agencies will be conducting a large-scale emergency evacuation drill across South Jersey Thursday.
The state Department of Transportation, New Jersey State Police, the New Jersey Turnpike Authority, and the South Jersey Transportation Authority will be conducting an emergency evacuation exercise on Thursday to practice and refine a response in the event of a major hurricane.
Officials say no roads will be closed during the drill, however you may see an increased presence of state troopers. Work crews will be transporting construction barrels and message boards to many locations as part of the exercise.
The following key evacuation routes will be used as part of the exercise on Thursday, according to a press release:
- The entire length of the Atlantic City Expressway
- Garden State Parkway between Exit 0/Cape May and Exit 38/AC Expressway
- I-195 between mile markers 6 and 34
- Route 72 between Woodland Township and Ship Bottom
- Portions of Routes 47 and 347 in Dennis and Maurice River Townships
SOURCE: NJDOT Press Release