A vape battery was found to be the cause of a fire in an Atlantic County Utilities Authority (ACUA) collection truck during a trash route in Linwood last Tuesday, Nov 26.

While completing their route, ACUA employees noticed the smell of smoke and immediately pulled the truck over. The Linwood Fire Department quickly arrived on the
scene to put out the fire. After the fire was safely put out, the vape battery was discovered in the trash and determined to be the cause.

A similar incident occurred in 2018 when a hoverboard battery caused a fire in an ACUA collection truck along a household trash collection route in Brigantine.
ACUA stresses the importance of checking if an item is hazardous before placing it in a
trash or recycling can. Vape batteries are considered hazardous waste and should never be placed in household trash bins.

Residents who need to dispose of them should check with their local vape store who may accept them for recycling or bring them to one of ACUA’s Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Offs held throughout the year.

Source: ACUA

Enter your number to get our free mobile app