Wildwood Crest Police: 15-year-old From Linwood, NJ, Stole Vehicle
A teenager from Linwood has been arrested for allegedly stealing a vehicle earlier this week.
Thursday afternoon, March 23rd, officers with the Wildwood Crest Police Department responded to the 8300 block of New Jersey Avenue for a report of a stolen motor vehicle.
Shortly thereafter, Wildwood police found that vehicle parked at a hotel on the 300 east block of Rio Grande Avenue.
Then, detectives located a suspect, a 15-year-old from Linwood, on the 100 west block of Rio Grande Avenue.
Wildwood Crest detectives were able to develop information linking the suspect...to the theft...and they were taken into custody...
The teen was charged with theft by unlawful taking and released to a parent on a summons with a future court date.
The vehicle was returned to its owner.
Simple tips to prevent car theft
Geico offers these simple reminders to prevent your car from being stolen.
- Keep your vehicle locked at all times, even while driving.
- When parked, never leave your keys in the car. Ensure windows are fully closed.
- Never leave your car running and unattended, even if your doors are locked.
- Avoid leaving valuables inside your vehicle.
- Do not leave your vehicle title in the car.
- Avoid high-crime areas even if an alternate route takes longer.
- Install an anti-theft system in your vehicle if it doesn't have one.
- Park it in a well-lit area if possible.
- Look around, especially in garages, parking lots, and gas stations. If you notice someone loitering, consider moving your car.
- Have your car's vehicle identification number (VIN) etched on each of the windows.