Millville Man Contracts Flesh-eating Bacteria While Crabbing in Cumberland County
A South Jersey man is in intensive care after he contracted a flesh-eating bacteria while crabbing in Cumberland County.
WPVI-TV reports Angel Perez was crabbing at Matts Landing in Maurice River on July 2nd. Hours later, one of his legs began to swell. Perez's daughter, Dilena Perez-Dilan, says of his leg, "it turned brown, blackish color. It was swelling, it was blistered."
Doctors say the infection spread to all four of Perez's limbs and he is now in intensive care at Cooper Hospital in Camden.
Here's what you need to know about flesh-eating bacteria: it's caused by Vibrio bacteria, which is commonly found in areas where there is brackish water (where river water meets sea water) and it is much more common in warmer-weather months, according to the CDC. If you have open cuts or scrapes, you are advised to stay out of waterways, whether salt or fresh. You can also ingest Vibrio bacteria by eating raw or under-cooked shellfish, particularly oysters.
WPVI reports Perez has Parkinson's disease, which means he is at a greater risk for problems, too.
As for Perez's outlook, his family says he is in good spirits, but they are living day-to-day. If Perez does not respond to treatment, he may lose some or all of his limbs.