Man Charged With Fatal Shooting in Burlington County Arrested in SC
A man who has been charged in connection to a fatal shooting in Burlington County last month has been arrested in South Carolina.
Burlington County Prosecutor Scott Coffina and Burlington (City) Police Chief John Fine say 20-year-old Nicholas Wahl was taken into custody on Wednesday in Greenville, SC, without incident. He has been charged with first-degree murder, possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, unlawful possession of a weapon, and aggravated assault.
Authorities say Wahl is accused of fatally shooting 27-year-old Dysheem Bruton on April 30th as he was walking down Saint Mary Street in Burlington. He was pronounced dead after being transported to Virtua Willingboro Hospital. The motive for the slaying continues to be investigated. Wahl is also charged with accidentally shooting a 10-year-old boy in the foot.
Coffina's office says immediately after the shooting, Wahl was identified as a suspect and charges were filed within 24 hours.
"It was quickly determined that this defendant was responsible for this killing, and he was soon apprehended several states away,” Coffina said in a statement. “It was the solid work of the investigators up here, and the tenacity of the fugitive squad down south, that led to this speedy resolution. We are pleased to be able to take this important first step for justice for Mr. Bruton’s loved ones, and also grateful that an innocent child did not become a second fatality.”
The Burlington County Prosecutor's Office is seeking to extradite Wahl to New Jersey. He is currently being held at the Greenville County Detention Center.
The investigation was conducted by the Prosecutor’s Office and the City of Burlington Police Department with assistance from the Burlington Township Police Department.